Other Viruses – Heat Treatments for Viruses, Bacteria, and Other Microorganisms
In a time when illnesses run rampant, immune systems seem increasingly compromised, and there's a new deadly virus each year, people are looking for better, more efficient ways to keep their homes and businesses disinfected and clean.
But how can families and business owners guarantee that their homes are virus-free? Bacteria-free? Liquid disinfectants are helpful, but they cannot sanitize every square inch of a home or place of work. Thankfully, there is a solution to creating a 100 percent decontaminated and virus-free environment.
How Heat Treatments Works for All Common Viruses
High heat kills viral pathogens. Heat applied to rooms and objects will disinfect the area and eliminate any harmful microorganisms in that space. Furthermore, heat applied to fomites can kill pathogens resting on those fomites. (Fomites are objects that are likely to carry infection, such as clothes, utensils, furniture, doorknobs, windows, sink faucets, etc.).
Air temperatures kept at 160 ̊F for two hours will deliver a lethal blow to most organisms. So let’s take a look at some common viruses and bacteria and the air temperatures that they can no longer survive at. Some of the germs and bacteria that microbe-focused heat treatments eliminate include:
- Bird Flu (H5N1) – 70 ̊C/158 ̊F. (The Bird Flu is a serious, often fatal virus that infects birds. Such a virus can be transmitted from birds to humans and includes symptoms like coughing, diarrhea, respiratory difficulties, and a fever of over 100.4°F).
- Swine Flu (H1N1) – 71 ̊C/160 ̊F. (The Swine flu is much like the Bird Flu, in that it is a potentially fatal virus contracted by pigs and transmittable to humans. Symptoms include fever, chills, cough, sore throat, runny nose, water eyes, body aches, and headaches).
- Dysentery – 58 ̊C/140 ̊F. (Dysentery is a severe, potentially fatal infection of the intestines. Symptoms include diarrhea. Mucus and blood is often present in fecal samples).
- Influenza – 62 ̊C/144 ̊F. (A highly contagious infection of the upper respiratory system, influenza causes potentially fatal fevers and severe body aches.)
- Pneumonia – 60 ̊C/140 ̊F. (Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs where-in the lungs' air sacs fill with pus and become inoperable. Potentially fatal, this disease exhibits symptoms like coughing, fever, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, stabbing chest pain, and loss of appetite).
- Tuberculosis – 63 ̊C/145 ̊F. (A bacterial infection, tuberculosis is a disease in which the lungs become infected with nodule-like growths called “tubercles.” Symptoms include persistent coughing, fatigue, weight loss, fever, coughing up blood, loss of appetite, and night sweats).
- Polio – 55 ̊C/130 ̊F. (Polio is an infectious viral disease that affects the central nervous system. It can cause permanent paralysis. Symptoms of the virus include fever, sore throat, headache, vomiting, fatigue, back and neck pain, and general stiffness and body pain.)
All of the above are relatively common, recognizable, and sadly very dangerous viral infections. But the silver lining is that high heat treatments eliminate all of those potentially deadly microorganisms.
B.D.D.S. to the Rescue
B.D.D.S. services South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia. Our technicians and heat treatment experts can sanitize houses, office buildings, schools, retail stores, airplanes, rental car fleets, public buildings, department stores, apartment buildings, college campuses, etc. If you would like to create a safe and clean environment that is free of bacteria and viral pathogens, please call 1-800-704-4654 today.
Next: Workplace Safety, Promoting Health and Reducing Illness Among Manufacturing Workers